NARSIL-R is a non fugitive and primarily nonionic emulsion containing Dimethylpolysiloxane. It is an effective and widely used release agent for rubber.
This Emulsion gives a thin but highly effective parting film. It does not carbonize or gum even at temperatures which would quickly destroy organic mould release agents, and does not build up on moulds, and does not discolor or damage rubber or plastic.
NARSIL -R gives an excellent surface finish to molded parts. The reason for this characteristic appears to be that the average particle size of NARSIL-R is 0.5 microns.
This fine particle size also contributes to the excellent release properties of NARSIL-R and to the stability of the undiluted and diluted emulsion.
Effect of Hard Water
The use of hard water will not affect the stability of emulsion. How ever the minerals in the hard water will gradually build up on mould surfaces.
NARSIL -R is formulated with a small amount of sodium nitrite so that it will not cause rusting. This amount of sodium nitrite is sufficient in product water ratios up to 1:1 in mere dilute solutions, the same degree of inhibition can be obtained by adding 0.1 pound of sodium nitrite for each 100 parts of water. This should not be taken to imply that NARSIL -R can be used as a rust preventive on metal.
Diluting and Applying
NARSIL -R can be readily diluted to any desired concentration up to 200 parts water to 1 part emulsion. The diluted emulsion can be sprayed, brushed or wiped on moulds.
These values are not intended for use in preparing specifications.
Although it is used primarily as a mould release agent, NARSIL-R is used in many other applications, including following.
- Lubricant for hosiery borders, the use of this emulsion has greatly reduced the number of runs in fine hosiery during manufacturing.
- Yarn Lubricant, The addition of 1% of NARSIL-R to the through solution reduces needle wear any yarn breakage.
- Treatment for glass fabric used as exhaust filters, serviceable to 400°F
Glass and Ceramics
- Properly applied and cured on to glass and ceramics, NARSIL -R forms an invisible, durable characteristics to the treated surface and minimizes the adhesion of other materials to the surface thus improves free draining characteristics or facilitates cleaning. It increases water repellency, improves retention of high surface resistivity under high humidity conditions.
- With vials or bottles for costly pharmaceuticals, free drainage means that less products is needed to ensure a given dosage.
- Release agent for rubber stoppers and rubber gaskets used on screw tops and hungs.
- Release agents for surface to tubers used to form polyethylene and other plastics bags.
Wire and Cable
- Cable lubricant NARSIL-R does not support fungus growth, thus the appearance of stored cable is not damaged by fungi which feed on paraffin.
- Lubricant and anti-sticking agent for extruded rubber parts prevents newly coiled extrusions from sticking together and improves surface appearance.
- Release coating for conveyors, Prevents sticking of products to conveyors, even those operating at high temperatures.